Sometimes writing an essay may be a quite difficult task, and it may seem impossible to get good grades. Such a task really isn’t easy at all, especially if you don’t have enough experience. You have to find a good topic, your claims must be clear, and your arguments must be strong. You have to create a proper logical structure and make your paper really interesting for readers. Obviously, it also must be grammatically correct. There are a lot of requirements for a good essay, so we decided to provide you with 14 simple tips that will help you improve your writing.
1. Choose your topic carefully. Working on any paper starts with searching for a topic, and if you want to get high grades, you must choose a topic carefully, thinking of what you can write about it.
2. Pay special attention to the thesis statement. The thesis statement is a backbone of your paper, so you have to keep it in mind during the whole writing process. Make it clear, specific and logical.
3. Work out your arguments and make sure that they provide a great support for your thesis statement. If you choose your arguments carefully, your claims will be strong and persuasive, which is the most important thing to impress your readers.
4. Analyze your assignment. Take your time and analyze your task. Search for keywords, it will simplify your work significantly, since you’ll be able to find all necessary information easily and fast. You may have heard a common saying, that any question has an answer in it. This principle is quite useful in college writing essay.
5. Ask more questions. There is no better way to dig deep into your subject. It will also motivate you to keep in mind your audience. Think what questions would be most interesting to them, and build your arguments depending on the interests of your audience.
6. Use samples. Even if you have no idea how your paper should look like, it’s not a problem at all. Check out various similar papers on the internet, and you’ll get many ideas that can be used in your own work. Just make sure that your paper isn’t plagiarized.
7. Manage your time. The effective time management is your best tool for getting highest grades. It allows you to sort your tasks by priority and plan your work, so you wouldn’t puzzle on what to do next. Time management is especially important in case you’re working on several projects simultaneously.
8. Get help. There’s nothing wrong with asking your instructor about everything, as many times as you want. You have to clarify all specific features of your assignment, in order to write it really well.
9. Revise. Read your paper as many times as you need, this is the only way to understand what can be improved, which facts are unnecessary, and what would make your paper better.
10. Edit your papers. There’s no problem if you’re not a master of grammar. There are many online sources where you can order proofreading and make sure that some missed commas or misspelled words won’t affect your grades.
11. Submit your papers on time. We already mentioned that time matters, but it’s of key importance when it comes to deadlines.
12. Avoid procrastination. Such an advice looks pretty obvious, but really, don’t procrastinate if you have a lot of work to do. If you can’t stop scrolling your feed on Facebook or texting your friends, just turn off your phone while you’re writing, and you’ll be impressed by how productive you can be.
13. Another golden rule sounds like this: expression over impression. Of course, you have to impress your readers, but they must be impressed naturally, just by seeing how you express your ideas, and how good you are at it.
14. Don’t forget that all these rules are equally important. Don’t try to improve your style to the detriment of structure, and so on. Just keep in mind all these simple tips and make sure that your essay is really perfect!